Local and state officials are very pleased with the huge turn-out... and, response by the majority... who spoke out in favor of the NRG "RePowering Dunkirk" project at Monday night's public hearing. Well over 2-thousand people attended the approximately 4-hour session at the SUNY College at Fredonia's Williams Center. Dunkirk School Superintendent Gary Cerne says he's proud of all of those who turned out to support the repowering project. State Assemblyman Andy Goodell called the turnout in support of the repowering project overwhelming. He says they made an "astounding statement of community support at every level." State Senator Cathy Young says the public understands the importance of keeping the NRG Plant in operation. Young... who pushed for the PSC Hearing... called the turn-out "heart-warming." Dunkirk Mayor A-J Dolce felt the attendance level demonstrated the high level of support for retaining the NRG plant. Dolce says he was thrilled with the turn-out... adding that it can only encourage the Public Service Commission to support the repowering project.
Prior to the public hearing... both NRG and National Grid made their cases into the future of the NRG Plant. David Gaier of NRG says the repowering project would create technological, environmental and ratepayer benefits. Gaier says the project will also create up to 500 jobs during the construction phase. Senior Counsel with National Grid Carlos Gavilondo... who called the hearing spirited with passionate people... says National Grid's analysis, which included transmission upgrades, is the most feasible. National Grid officials say that repowering under NRG's proposed contract terms puts large fixed costs onto customers. NRG states that the repowering project would create long term tax stability in the County.
Governor Andrew Cuomo's campaign committee has reported raising 6.2-million dollars since January... giving the incumbent Democrat 27.8-million dollars for a 2014 re-election bid. The filing shows the campaign spent almost $852,000 during the period... including $43,000 at the Waldorf Astoria in Manhattan in January for a fundraiser and $75,000 for CPS Events at the Plaza for another Manhattan fund raiser last month.
The Jamestown Police Department has received half of a federal grant to install four more digital dash cameras in city police vehicles. City Police Chief, and Public Safety Director Harry Snellings says their pleased to be getting nearly 74-hundred dollars through a 2013 Justice Assistance -- or JAG -- Grant. The other 74-hundred will go to the Chautauqua County Sheriff's Department. Snellings says this will bring the number of dash cams they have to seven. Snellings says the dash cams provide video and audio like what you see sometimes on television newscasts of people being arrested following high speed pursuits... or drunk driving incidents. Snellings says it's helps back up their stopping people on "probable cause..." and in dealing with "officer complaints." The Chief says they jointly applied for the 14-thousand-792 dollars through the Edward Byrne Memorial JAG Program funds with the Sheriff's Office. The city council will vote on receiving those funds at it's July 29th voting session.
State officials are making one-million dollars available to help police agencies expand the use of video equipment for recording interrogations of suspects. State criminal justice officials say 345 agencies in 58 of New York's 62 counties currently videotape at least some interrogations. They say those are considered more effective in both documenting confessions... and, preventing wrongful convictions than relying on officer accounts of questioning. Prosecutors say they also help prevent false accusations of police coercion.
A town of Ellery man has been arrested on warrants for skipping out on sentencing on charges of second-degree menacing... and, two counts of harassment. Sheriff's officers say they learned that 38 year-old Tyler McMaster of Dutch Hollow Road was at a Newland Avenue address in Jamestown... and, he was taken into custody without incident. Deputies say McMaster was also charged with criminal contempt in the two County Court warrants. He was sent to the county jail without bail... and, is being held pending further court action.
Seven contestants have been eliminated from the 10th anniversary season of Media One station SE-93's "Chautauqua Lake Voices" competition. The seven were announced on the SE-93 website after the remaining nine people performed this past Monday night on the Floating Stage in Bemus Point. Media One director of Operations, Andrew Hill, says the first 10 singers performed a week ago Monday. He says the decision on who was eliminated was difficult because he believes this is one of the most talented groups they've ever had. Andrew Hill says they again have a very diverse group of singers... ranging from business people... to college students. The program had been named "Chautauqua Lake Idol" until this year. Hill says Media One had to change the name due to legalities. He adds they tried to hold "their ground..." but, they surrendered the name... title... and, website... and, after some discussion... changed the program to "Chautauqua Lake Voices." Once they came up with the name... there was little discussion about continuing the program.