National Headlines
Subscribe To This Feed

Woodland Park Police Department(DENVER) -- Missing Colorado mom Kelsey Berreth’s parents —- who are suing son-in-law Patrick Frazee for the wrongful death of their daughter —- allege in new court documents that Frazee murdered his fiancée because she refused to give him full custody of their one-year-old daughter Kaylee.

“Upon information and belief, Frazee had motive to kill Kelsey in that he wanted full custody of [Kaylee Berreth] and/or Kelsey to leave [Kaylee Berreth] with him and Kelsey would not agree,” the parents' attorney, Angela Jones, wrote in an amended civil complaint filed Friday in federal court on behalf of plaintiffs Cheryl and Darrell Berreth.

The lawsuit claims Frazee told Cheryl Berreth a series of lies “knowing that Kelsey was dead because he had killed her, or caused her to be killed, on November 22, 2018.”

On December 2, the plaintiffs claim, Cheryl Berreth called Frazee and asked him if everything was “okay”.

Frazee allegedly told Cheryl that he and Kelsey had broken up on Thanksgiving Day and agreed to split custody of their daughter. That same day, Kelsey left Kaylee with Frazee while she “figured out what she was going to do”," according to the phone call documented in the amended complaint.

Kelsey also allegedly asked Frazee "for her things back, so he gave Kelsey her keys and her gun," according to the complaint.

According to Cheryl, Frazee told her that he and Kelsey had plans for November 25, three days after she was last seen shopping at a local supermarket in Woodland Park, Colorado.

"When he later sent a text and she didn’t respond, he figured she had put her phone on do-not-disturb so that she could study, which is something he said that she often did when she was studying or [Kaylee] was napping," the court documents detail.

Frazee allegedly also told Cheryl that despite the relationship starting off well, it eventually turned sour. He had "had enough and wasn’t going to deal with things anymore," because Kelsey was always criticizing him or "putting him down" in front of the baby.

In explaining one possible reason for her disappearance, Frazee allegedly suggested to Cheryl that Kelsey may have disappeared with a friend or co-worker because "Kelsey didn’t always return home directly after she got off of work and that she had gone out to dinner with some co-workers," according to the court documents.

Frazee allegedly also told Cheryl that despite the relationship starting off well, it eventually turned sour. He had "had enough and wasn’t going to deal with things anymore," because Kelsey was always criticizing him or "putting him down" in front of the baby.

In explaining one possible reason for her disappearance, Frazee allegedly suggested to Cheryl that Kelsey may have disappeared with a friend or co-worker because "Kelsey didn’t always return home directly after she got off of work and that she had gone out to dinner with some co-workers," according to the court documents.

On December 3, "Frazee called Cheryl-Lee Berreth and told her he hadn’t been able to access Kelsey’s phone records online. He stated that she had set up the online access when she was working in Grand Junction and he didn’t know the answers to the access questions like ‘where did you meet your spouse?’"

Frazee also stated that he thought that Kelsey may have opened her own phone plan and changed her phone number. He told Cheryl-Lee Berreth: ‘I love your daughter.’ He said that Woodland Park is a safe place and the Berreths didn’t need to worry about foul play," according to the documents.

The documents also allege that Frazee encouraged false reports about Kelsey, including that the couple were not engaged, that Kelsey was not Kaylee's primary caregiver, that Kelsey had gone to rehab, that she had run off before, that she had abandoned the baby in Frazee's care and that she "had 'issues' that would warrant Frazee “getting full custody."

Kelsey Berreth was last seen in public Thanksgiving Day. Police arrested Frazee December 21. Even though her body has not been found, Frazee has been charged with her murder. He has not entered a plea.

On February 8, Idaho nurse Krystal Lee Kenney pleaded guilty to helping Frazee dispose of Berreth’s cell phone. She is cooperating with the investigation and is required to testify against Frazee as part of her plea deal with prosecutors.

Cheryl and Darryl's newly amended complaint even go as far as to venture a guess as to how Frazee may have allegedly murdered their daughter.

"Frazee had an opportunity to kill Kelsey or have Kelsey killed in that he had her keys and, because he had her gun, she was vulnerable to an attack," the documents stated.

Calls to the attorneys representing Patrick Frazee in the civil lawsuit have not been returned.

Last month, a judge granted temporary custody of Kaylee to Berreth's parents, Cheryl and Darrell Berreth. The couple also has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Frazee.

Frazee is due back in court Feb. 19.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Courtesy Cheri Stoneburner(NEW YORK) --  She's a junior ranger that's older than the national park itself.

Rose Torphy was on a vacation at Grand Canyon National Park when she stopped in the park store.

"I started talking to people about the junior ranger program because it teaches kids to protect the Canyon," she told "Good Morning America." "My parents taught me to care for the land but not all kids have that."

On Feb. 26, 2019, the Grand Canyon celebrates 100 years since it's designation as a national park.

The trip to the Grand Canyon was Torphy's second. The first was in 1985, she said, "when she was able to walk around." This time, she took in the sites in her wheelchair and was able to "go to the edge."

The junior ranger program at Grand Canyon National Park is "education programming," said Alysa Ojeda, marketing and public relations manager for Grand Canyon Conservancy, which funds the junior ranger program.

Ojeda told "GMA" the Conservancy had to "get creative" with programming during the partial government shutdown which was going on during Torphy's visit in mid-January.

Store staff was trained to teach junior ranger hopefuls something new about the Grand Canyon and help them complete an activity book about the national park, Ojeda said. The junior rangers then promise to protect the Grand Canyon and become park stewards.

"I'm happy to protect it for my great-children to visit one day," said Torphy, who's a mom of three, grandmother of nine, great-grandmother of 18 and great-great grandmother of 10.

Cheri Stoneburner, Torphy's daughter, was with her on the visit and told "GMA" her mom has been wearing her junior ranger pin on her coat since they got back from the trip.

"I was very impressed with the wheelchair access and ramps," Stoneburner said. "We were able to get to an edge where she had taken a photo with my dad on their visit in 1985," she said.

"She's a spokesperson for the park now. Everywhere we go, people ask her about her junior ranger pin and she says 'you're never too old to see the Grand Canyon!" Stoneburner added.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Pattanaphong Khuankaew/iStock(LOS ANGELES) -- An armed security guard at a Los Angeles synagogue was arrested after allegedly shooting a person recording video of the building in the leg.

Edduin Zelayagrunfeld, 44, was arrested on a felony charge for assault with a deadly weapon with a firearm, according to a statement from the Los Angeles Police Department. He worked at the Etz Jacob Congregation/Ohel Chana High School near the intersection of Beverly Boulevard and Stanley Avenue.

When police arrived on the scene at around 12 p.m., they found an "individual suffering from a gunshot wound to the leg," according to the LAPD statement. The victim of the shooting was transferred to the hospital with a non-life-threatening injury.

The alleged victim was live-streaming the school and the ensuing incident on YouTube. The LAPD confirmed that Zelayagrunfeld is the security guard in the video and can be seen pointing the gun down as the cameraperson zooms in and out on the weapon.

"This guard just pulled a gun out on me, everybody," the person holding the camera says in the video.

Zelayagrunfeld can be heard saying, "Why are you recording us? Why are you recording me? Why are you recording this institution? You cannot answer?"

“He said he was going to shoot me dead if I moved," the cameraperson says shortly after.

A single shot is fired just over a minute later, and the cameraperson immediately retreats. They can be heard yelling that they had been shot in the leg, while Zelayagrunfeld tells them to "get away" and that it was a "warning shot" and they "are nothing."

Zelayagrunfeld was released from jail Friday on $50,000 bond. He's scheduled to appear in court on March 15.

The LAPD did not disclose the name of the victim.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

guvendemir/iStock(WASHINGTON) -- Family housing for service members in Wisconsin and South Korea, schools on military bases in Germany, and upgrades to Fort Bragg in North Carolina and Air Force bases in Alaska could be on the chopping block with President Donald Trump's national emergency declaration to use billions in military construction money to build a border wall.

The president declared a national emergency from the White House Rose Garden Friday after signing the declaration, a move administration officials argued would free up funds appropriated by Congress for military construction to help build the wall, and allow Trump to deliver on his campaign pledge after congressional Democrats repeatedly rejected his demands.

Under the terms of the declaration, the administration would have access to $3.5 billion from the Pentagon's military construction budget, along with $2.5 billion from the Pentagon's drug interdiction program and $600 million from the Treasury Department's drug forfeiture fund.

The $3.5 billion in military construction funds could be taken from a wide range of projects, including landing pads and maintenance facilities for the new F-35 fighter jet in California; waste management facilities at Guantanamo Bay; a high school for military children in Japan; and special operations forces training facilities in North Carolina, according to a list of projects provided to ABC News by a congressional aide.

When asked whether the decision could harm morale in the military and among military families, Trump claimed Friday that military officials told him they felt the border wall was more important than the projects that could be canceled or delayed.

"Some of them haven't been allocated yet and some of the generals think that this is more important. I was speaking to a couple of them. They think this is far more important than what they were going to use it for. I said: 'What were you going to use it for?' and I won't go into details, but didn't sound too important to me," Trump said.

A senior administration official said lower priority military construction projects, such as repairs that could wait until next year, would be targeted. The official insisted nothing that impacts lethality or readiness would be impacted.

While it's still unclear exactly which projects will be targeted, some projects on the list of vulnerable projects include special operations forces training centers and operations facilities for Navy SEAL training. Delay of construction of these types of projects could directly affect readiness, ABC News contributor Col. Steve Ganyard, a former Marine Corps pilot, said.

"While some things can afford to slide a year, there are construction plans that go for 10 years. Any time you disrupt long term planning budgets, it has second or third order effects. It's not as simple as sliding everything one year. It could disrupt a lot of things," Ganyard said.

And experts also warn about the potential consequences of reallocating $2.5 billion from the Pentagon's drug interdiction program.

Those funds are usually used to fund federal, state, and local law enforcement investigations into drug traffickers and violent gangs, according to ABC News Contributor John Cohen, a former Department of Homeland Security Under Secretary.

"The Department of Defense interdiction monies are used to pay for intelligence-gathering, are used to fly airplanes and to support ships that are in the ocean that are actually interdicting loads of drugs en route United States," Cohen told ABC News' Devin Dwyer.

"In a sense, we're taking money from effective operational programs and putting them to support a wall which will have at best a marginal impact on drugs flying into the country," Cohen said.

The plan is also being met with resistance even from Republican senators on Capitol Hill. On Tuesday, Senate Armed Services Committee Chairman Sen. James Risch said: "If it has to be that way ... leave MilCon alone."

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Chalabala/iStock(CHICAGO) -- Five victims were killed and at least five police officers were injured by gunfire in Aurora, Illinois when a gunman opened fire in an industrial warehouse, according to authorities.

The gunman, identified as Gary Martin, 45, was killed by responding police officers, according to Aurora Police Chief Kristen Ziman.

The shooting unfolded at the Henry Pratt Company, an industrial warehouse in Aurora, a town about 40 miles west of Chicago.

The first 911 calls came in at 1:24 p.m. local time, according to Ziman. She said that Aurora police officers were on scene within four minutes "and were fired upon immediately."

SWAT teams entered the 29,000 square foot warehouse to locate Martin, Ziman said. When they found him, they engaged him in gunfire, ultimately killing him.

Martin's motive remains unclear.

People who escaped the building when the shooting began described the chaos inside.

John Probst, a Henry Pratt employee who escaped, described to ABC Chicago affiliate WLS-TV seeing a man holding a pistol equipped with a laser sight, shooting indiscriminately. Probst told WLS he recognized the shooter as a coworker, though authorities have not confirmed whether Martin was employed there.

There would have been approximately 30 people in the building at the time of the shooting, Probst said.

Another witness who escaped the building with Probst and later ended up hiding out in a nearby home, described the chaos and confusion inside, and his split-second decision to flee.

“We got out of the back door as soon as we heard shots,” Howard Sebby told ABC News. “We saw one guy get shot, he was a co-worker, he was shot in the arm and back, I think they took him to the hospital.”

Sebby also said he saw the shooter "running," though it was unclear where the gunman may have been going.

Little information about Martin was immediately available.


THE SHOOTER HAS BEEN APPREHENDED! The area is still on lock down!

More information will be provided soon.

— City of Aurora, IL (@CityofAuroraIL) February 15, 2019

Aurora police noted that the location has been "secured" but a "continued police presence will remain as investigation [sic] continues."

Active Shooter Incident has been secured. Shooter is no longer a threat to the area. Continued police presence will remain as investigation continues. Parents please contact your local school districts for dismissal plan

— Aurora (IL) Police (@AuroraPoliceIL) February 15, 2019

Nearby hospital, Rush-Copley Medical Center, tweeted that they have received two patients who are being treated for non-life threatening injuries connected to the shooting.

Rush Copley is assisting those involved in the active shooter incident in Aurora. The hospital has received two patients who are being treated for non-life threatening injuries.

— Rush Copley (@rushcopley) February 15, 2019

The Chicago field office of the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF) had announced earlier that it responded to the scene.

White House press secretary Sarah Sanders said that the president has been briefed and is monitoring the situation.

Sen. Tammy Duckworth, D-Illinois, thanked the "brave" first responders, and called it "a scary, sad day for all Illinoisans and Americans."

"I am monitoring the situation in Aurora, Illinois. This is a scary, sad day for all Illinoisans and Americans. Thank you to the brave first responders who risked their lives this afternoon and apprehended the shooter," she wrote on Twitter.

I am monitoring the situation in Aurora, Illinois. This is a scary, sad day for all Illinoisans and Americans. Thank you to the brave first responders who risked their lives this afternoon and apprehended the shooter.

— Tammy Duckworth (@SenDuckworth) February 15, 2019

The Illinois Fraternal Order of Police issued a statement hailing the heroism of the responding officers.

"Every police officer dreads days like this one, yet these four courageous Aurora officers and their colleagues did not hesitate to literally put their lives on the line today to stop further bloodshed," the statement said. "These four heroes willingly ran into harm’s way to protect their fellow citizens and very nearly paid the ultimate price."

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Piotrekswat/iStock(WASHINGTON) -- A Florida man who reported $18,497 in wages is in trouble after he received a $980,000 tax refund based on a false tax return that he filed, according to a criminal complaint filed in U.S. District Court in Tampa, Florida.

The complaint, which was filed Jan. 18, said the tax refund came after Ramon Christopher Blanchett reported $1,000,000 in federal income tax withheld on one of his forms.

Blanchett, according to the complaint, had reported wages from two employers on his 2016 Federal Income Tax Return form, which he self-prepared and filed on Feb. 21, 2017.

The complaint said Blanchett described himself as a "free-lancer." On one form, Blanchett listed his employer as Bridges Nursing and Rehabilitation and said he was paid $17,098, with $1,000,000 of federal income tax withheld. The complaint said Blanchett was actually paid $2,098 in wages, with no income tax withheld.

"Based on Blanchett’s submission of the Form 1040, falsely representing that $1,000,000 in taxes had been withheld, the U.S. Treasury issued check number 403808854305, made payable to Blanchett, for $980,000," the complaint said.

Blanchett’s other form listed his employer as Sizzling Platter, LLC. in Murray, Utah and reported $1,399 in wages with no federal income tax withheld, which the complaint said was accurate.

The complaint said Blanchett deposited the money into two SunTrust accounts, then was given a cashier’s check for the $980,000 after his funds were frozen for suspected fraud in May 2018. He then opened a Grow Financial Money Market account in July by depositing the cashier’s check, claiming the money was from "the estate of his deceased father," according to the complaint.

The complaint said IRS Criminal Investigation (IRS-CI) seized $919,251.94 from three Grow Financial Credit Union accounts in Blanchett’s name, as well as a 2016 Lexus RC 350 that he purchased with the money. Blanchett also had $809.94 in a Grow Financial Credit Union account, which the complaint said came from a refund from Progressive Insurance when he canceled his car insurance.

There was no attorney listed for Blanchett.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Karen Ducey/Getty Images(PORTLAND) -- An investigation is underway into text messages that a police lieutenant exchanged with the leader of a right-wing group amid violent protests in Portland, Oregon.

Portions of the text messages, obtained by local newspaper The Willamette Week, show conversations between Portland Police Lt. Jeff Niiya and Joey Gibson, the leader of a group called Patriot Prayer.

The Willamette Week reported that some of the text messages, which were obtained through a public records request, shows Niiya warning Gibson that one of his associates who may have had a warrant out for his arrest should avoid doing "anything which may draw our attention."

In others, Gibson acknowledges that the fact that he was running for Senate -- a bid he ultimately lost -- would likely draw more attention to the protests in 2018.

"I will be using Portland and Seattle protesters as a part of the campaign so it will impact you guys unfortunately, so I appologize [sic] now ahead of time," Gibson reportedly wrote in one of the texts to Niiya.

Portland mayor Ted Wheeler described the text messages as "disturbing" and has called for a "thorough investigation of this matter."

"It is imperative for law enforcement to remain objective and professional, and in my opinion, these text messages appear to cross several boundaries," Wheeler said in a statement released Thursday.

For his part, Gibson believes the issue is being overblown and he believes the texts show he and Niiya simply being respectful of one another.

"I do this with police officers all over the country wherever I go, [I] just like to have some open communication," Gibson said in a video he posted to Facebook on Thursday in response to the Willamette Weekly story.

"Now most of the police officers that I talk to are very respectful. That doesn't mean they like me it doesnt mean that they back me, but they're very professional and they want to basically do everything they can to de-escalate things whenever possible. It's just common sense when you have potential violence that's going to erupt ... it's very important to have open communication with the police so that we know what to expect from one another," Gibson said in the Facebook video."

Gibson added that Niiya "truly did not want violence."

"That's what I saw. He did not want conflict, he did not want groups clashing with one another," he said.

The Portland Police Bureau shared a statement with ABC News confirming that the department “continues to look into the public records that have been released this week.”

“There is an on-going investigation and the Bureau cannot comment further on details involving personnel matters. While this investigation proceeds, direction has been given to Lieutenant Niiya to cease any further conversation with any event organizers. Additionally, Lieutenant Niiya is not participating in Rapid Response Team (RRT)-related activities until an investigation can be completed,” the Portland Police Bureau said in a statement.

Police chief Danielle Outlaw said in the statement that it is “imperative that we come together to hear people’s concerns and ideas.”

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Joe Raedle/Getty Images(WASHINGTON) -- A border patrol officer has been accused of unlawfully stopping two women for speaking Spanish at a Montana convenience store, according to a law filed by the American Civil Liberties Union.

Video of the incident, which occurred in May, went viral at the time.

“Ma’am the reason I asked you for your ID is because you came in here and I saw you were speaking Spanish, which is very unheard of out here,” the officer tells one of the women in a video first released last year.

When the incident was first reported, U.S. Customs and Border Protection spokesman Andrew Meehan said speaking Spanish alone "is not enough" to pull someone over or ask for ID.

He added, however, that it's possible the agent "very well could have been following procedure."

“[The] agent used a poor choice of words, for sure,” Meehan said in May.

The women said the officer first asked where they were born, then asked to see their ID’s. Responding to questions from the women, the officer in the video maintains they were not racially profiled.

The incident took place in Harve, a small town in northern Montana less than an hour drive from the Canadian border.

A spokesperson said in a statement that CBP does not typically comment on pending litigation.

The ACLU said the incident is consistent with the agency that is "out of control."

“More broadly, this kind of abusive CBP activity reflects an out-of-control agency emboldened by a vehemently anti-immigrant administration,” the ACLU said in a post explaining the Montana incident.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News

(CHICAGO) -- Two potential suspects in the alleged racial attack on "Empire" actor Jussie Smollett have been arrested, Chicago police said Friday.

Police clarified that the two men were placed under arrest Wednesday night after police met them at the airport.

They have not yet been charged yet, police said.

"Police can detain the potential suspects for an additional 24 hours past the 48 hour holding period under special circumstances, but it must go through the prosecutor’s office and has to be clear process," police added to ABC News.

Police also confirmed that “they have a relationship with [Jussie].”

This news comes hours after police told ABC News they were classifying them as potential suspects.

"Detectives have probable cause that they may have been involved in an alleged crime and we are working to corroborate the allegations and investigative timeline as our investigation continues," police said.

They also shut down any reports that there was evidence to classify the alleged attack as a hoax.

"While we haven't found any video documenting the alleged attack, there is also no evidence to say that this is a hoax," police added. "The alleged victim is being cooperative at this time and continues to be treated as a victim, not a suspect."

Chicago PD had confirmed Thursday that they identified and were questioning the two "persons of interest" in the alleged racial attack. One of them has previously appeared on "Empire," according to a law enforcement official briefed on the investigation.

Police say they were tracking the two suspects and were aware of who they were "for a while," and that investigators learned that the two individuals were returning to Chicago on Wednesday from Nigeria.

The two suspects are U.S. citizens of Nigerian descent, they added.

Detectives also questioned Smollett Thursday, the official said.

Attorney Gloria Schmidt, who is representing the two persons of interest, told Chicago CBS station WBBM that her clients were detained at O'Hare Airport Wednesday evening and were unaware of the attack on Smollett.

"When they first learned what happened to him, they were horrified," Schmidt said. "This is someone that they know, this is someone that they work with, so they don't want to see somebody go through that ... They really don’t understand how [police] even got information that linked them to this horrific crime, but they’re not guilty of it."

Late last month, Smollett, who portrays a gay musician on Fox's "Empire," told police he was brutally attacked in what authorities are calling a suspected hate crime.

He said the attackers put a noose around his neck, poured an unknown substance, likely bleach, on him and used their hands, feet and teeth as weapons in the assault, according to police. Smollett said the attackers also yelled "This is MAGA country" during the attack.

He was subsequently hospitalized and released, local authorities said.

In his first interview since police say he was attacked last month, the singer and actor said on "Good Morning America" that he was heartbroken when he found out that people questioned the details of his story.

"I have to acknowledge the lies, and the hate. And it feels like if I had said it was a Muslim, or a Mexican, or someone black, I feel like the doubters would have supported me much more. A lot more," Smollett, 36, told ABC News' Robin Roberts. "And that says a lot about the place that we are in our country right now."

Prior to the police identifying and interviewing the two persons of interest, Smollett said he believes the two men in the photo released by police in the days after the attack are the perpetrators.

"I don't have any doubt in my mind that that's them," Smollett said. "Never did."

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Chester County District Attorney(CHESTER COUNTY, Pa.) -- A drug raid in northeastern Pennsylvania turned up more than heroin and crack -- police also discovered a 3-foot-long alligator.

"When we execute a drug search warrant, we never know what we will find," Chester County District Attorney Thomas Hogan said in a statement Thursday. "Sometimes it is an armed drug dealer. Sometimes it is the drug dealer's terrified family. On this day, it was an alligator."

The juvenile American alligator was living in the kitchen of the Chester County home, some 40 miles northwest of Philadelphia, where authorities executed a search warrant last week.

An adult American alligator grows to be 8 to 10 feet long.

Police also found heroin, crack cocaine, marijuana, suspected fetanyl, drug paraphernalia, material for packaging and selling drugs, and more than $5,000 in cash, according to the Chester County District Attorney's Office.

"Drug dealers will do just about anything to project an image of danger in order to protect their drugs and cash," Hogan said. "Some drug dealers use pit bulls or snakes. These drug traffickers kept an alligator in the house. But at the end of the day, the police seized their drugs and money, and the alligator is headed to the zoo."

Irvin "Gotti" Hawkins, 31, Aki Gathright, 35, and Tyrone Jackson, 40, were all at the residence in South Coatesville, which Hawkins was renting, authorities said. The three men were arrested for drug trafficking and related offenses.

There is no separate charge for possession of an alligator under Pennsylvania criminal law, according to the district attorney's office.

The alligator was placed in the care of the Brandywine Zoo in Wilmington, Del. The zoo will house the reptile through the summer before transferring it to the St. Augustine Alligator Farm and Zoological Park in Florida.

"We will provide care for the alligator and ensure it is healthy during its stay with the zoo,” said Brint Spencer, Brandywine Zoo's director, in a statement Thursday.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Santa Rosa Police/Facebook(SANTA ROSA, Calif.) -- Del Hedrick was driving for Lyft and had just dropped off a passenger at an apartment complex when something startled him.

"I see a baby, right in front of the car!" he said, according to ABC affiliate KGO. "Rain is pouring, it's 40 degrees outside and I froze. It was scary. It was a really scary moment."

The father of two jumped into action, scooping up the toddler from the Santa Rosa, Calif., apartment complex parking lot around 10:30 p.m. on Tuesday night.

"She was barefoot, soaking wet, onesie soaking, wet hair, full diaper -- yeah, it was heartbreaking," he said.

Hedrick knocked on some nearby doors to try and find the toddler's caretakers. But when nobody recognized her, he took the toddler into his car and turned on the heat, trying "to warm her up and calm her down," he said.

A video shot by Hedrick and posted by the Santa Rosa Police
shows Hedrick in his car with the toddler, explaining what had happened.

"Cops are on their way," he said in the video.

Santa Rosa Police arrived soon after and were able to locate the toddler's family and reunite her with them, the department said in a Facebook post.

The case does not involve neglect or abuse, police told KGO, and the toddler likely walked out an unlocked door. ABC News has reached out to Santa Rosa Police for more information.

In the Facebook post, Santa Rosa Police praised Hedrick as a "community hero," saying his "actions demonstrate how we all work together to keep our community safe."

While the toddler is now safe at home, Hedrick was shaken by the incident, according to KGO, and hugged his own kids tight when he got home that night.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Twitter/@EricaJoy(OAKLAND, Calif.) -- Passengers on a public transit bus in Oakland, California, were up to their ankles in water after a driver plowed through a flooded intersection on Thursday.

The Bay Area has been deluged by record rains this week, causing streets to flood around the region. But one driver's decision to risk the rising waters has him in trouble with his bosses.

A rider shared video of an AC Transit bus plowing through water several feet deep near the Port of Oakland. The water was higher than the bus's tires and immediately flooded the interior of the vehicle. Riders can be seen lifting their feet to avoid the rising water.

Erica Joy, who filmed the video, can be heard saying, "That's wild," after the bus reached the other side.

Driving through standing water is against AC Transit policy and is part of the company's training program, officials said.

"No operator with AC Transit is ever instructed to drive through standing water. That is absolutely against all procedure and protocol as well as their nine-week training," AC Transit spokesman Robert Lyles told San Francisco ABC station KGO-TV.

Lyles said an investigation is underway and the driver could face disciplinary action.

"We don't expect a bus to drive through standing water and we don't expect riders to be on buses that are going through standing water," Lyles said.

The intersection was later closed, though in the interim KGO filmed dozens of cars and trucks driving through the water. A BMW stalled in the deep water before being pushed out by a semitrailer.

San Francisco received a daily record of 2.5 inches of rain on Wednesday, while Oakland saw 1.46 inches. Oakland saw another 0.89 inches of rain on Thursday. Venado, which is about 90 minutes north of San Francisco, received over a foot of rain in the past two days.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

BlakeDavidTaylor/iStock(BATON ROUGE, La.) -- Nine members of a fraternity at Louisiana State University were arrested Thursday in connection to hazing activities that allegedly took place throughout the fall semester, officials said.

The university confirmed that Charles Eugene Brakenridge, 23, Blake Andrew Chalin, 20, Cade Rain Duckworth, 23, Gaston Thomas Eymard, 23, Shakti P. Gilotra, 22, Joseph Dylan Harkrider, 19, Malcolm Richard McNiece, 23, Alexander Joseph Rozas, 23, and Garrett Joseph Sanders, 21, all were booked into East Baton Rouge Parish Prison on charges ranging from criminal hazing to felony battery.

The young men, who are current and former students, all were members of the university's now-closed chapter of the Delta Kappa Epsilon fraternity.

"This type of behavior is unacceptable and at complete odds with what we expect from our students. It does not belong at LSU," Jason Droddy, interim vice president for strategic communications at Louisiana State University, said in a statement Thursday. "This is a sad day for the university, but one that illustrates the cultural shift occurring at LSU."

The Louisiana State University Police Department received a report of hazing involving the Delta Kappa Epsilon chapter on Jan. 18. Subsequent interviews with several pledges, or probationary members attempting to join the fraternity, determined that numerous hazing incidents took place throughout the fall semester, between Aug. 20 and Dec. 8, according to arrest affidavits.

During interviews with police, pledges described incidents in which they were struck with a pipe, punched, kicked and slapped. Most pledges also spoke about an incident in which McNiece poured gasoline on a pledge, who then had trouble seeing because some of the fluid had gotten in his eyes and he had to rush to the shower, according to the arrest affidavits.

One pledge described an incident in which he was forced to strip down to his underwear and climb into an ice machine that was filled with water and ice, where he was made to stay for 30 to 45 minutes and feared he would be "beaten up" if he didn't obey. He was then taken out and made to lay on top of broken glass on a nearby basketball court. Another pledge was forced to lie face down next to him while they were both "sprayed with a hose, had milk crates thrown at them and were urinated on," according to the arrest affidavits.

The pledge told police that Duckworth was the individual who made him get into the ice machine and "actively participated" while he was lying on the basketball court, according to the arrest affidavits.

Duckworth and McNiece are not registered students this semester, and Duckworth also was not enrolled in the fall 2018 semester, when the alleged hazing incidents occurred, the university said.

Duckworth faces the most serious charges, including criminal hazing, felony battery and false imprisonment, according to the arrest affidavits.

Duckworth, McNiece and the seven other defendants in the case did not immediately respond to ABC News' requests for comment.

Delta Kappa Epsilon's national organization said it cooperated with police in the investigation and "acted decisively" last month in shuttering its chapter at Louisiana State University "upon learning of extremely disturbing hazing allegations."

"In our ongoing educational programming regarding hazing prevention, we emphasize to our undergraduates that individuals should and will be held accountable for their actions," the fraternal organization said in a statement Thursday. "We will continue our efforts to eliminate hazing where ever and whenever it occurs."

It's not the first time fraternity members at the Louisiana State University have been investigated for hazing. In September 2017, 18-year-old Maxwell Gruver died after authorities said he and other pledges were forced to drink during an alleged hazing ritual at the Phi Delta Theta fraternity's on-campus house.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

ABC News(NEW YORK) -- A storm brought widespread heavy rain to California on Thursday and caused flash flooding, mudslides and the need for water rescues in many parts of the state.

Palm Springs, California, received 3.68 inches of rain on Thursday, which was its third-wettest day on record. In the higher elevations of Sonoma County and San Diego County, 10 to 12 inches of rain was reported. In the Sierra Nevada Mountains, nearly 2 feet of snow was reported.

The same storm is bringing heavy rain to parts of Arizona and New Mexico Friday morning, with localized flash flooding possible. Some of the energy from this storm will interact with colder air coming across the Plains, and set the stage for snow and rain to impact the central and eastern U.S. this weekend.

New winter weather advisories are being issued for parts of the Plains and Ohio River Valley, including Kansas City, Missouri, and Louisville, Kentucky. Additionally, colder air spilling in from Canada is causing wind chills to dip dangerously low in parts of the Upper Midwest. The Dakotas could see wind chill values as low as minus 40.

A new storm developing in the central U.S. will bring a quick hit of snow from the Northern Plains to Missouri on Friday. Snow will be especially heavy in the Kansas City area during the day. This storm will quickly exit out toward the Mid-Atlantic early Saturday morning.

A new storm will come in right behind it and bring another hit of snow to parts of the Midwest -- from the Dakotas to Illinois -- on Saturday night.

This storm will race off to the east on Sunday night and bring some snow along the Interstate 70 corridor from Indiana to Pittsburgh on Sunday, and bring wintry impacts to parts of the Northeast by early Monday morning.

The result of these storms will be a swath of 3 to 6 inches of snow from the Dakotas to Missouri this weekend, with a bull's-eye of 6 inches locally in the Kansas City area. To put some of this winter’s snow pattern in perspective, Kansas City already has had over 18 inches of snow, while Boston has had only 4.8 inches of snow.

Additionally, this pattern will bring a couple rounds of heavy rain to parts of the South, with 1 to 2 inches of rain possible in parts of Tennessee and Georgia. This will likely be the start of a particularly wet pattern for the southeast U.S. going into the next week.

Western U.S. stays unsettled

The heaviest of the precipitation on the West Coast has ended and it is becoming more scattered in nature. The main storm that brought the very heavy rain to California is moving through parts of Arizona and New Mexico Friday morning. There is still a chance for localized flash flooding in parts of Arizona through the morning hours, where locally over 2 inches of rain will fall.

Meanwhile, a separate storm lurking the Pacific Northwest will keep the region unsettled with rain and snow moving through this weekend. At this time, the direct impact from this storm does not appear to have the same type of severity as the storm that just hit California. However, the wet pattern will persist and locally heavy rainfall could still cause indirect impacts due to very saturated ground, such as mudslides and debris flows in recent burn areas.

Locally, 1 to 3 feet of snow is possible in the Sierra Nevada Mountains through the weekend. Along the coast there is the potential for half an inch of rain, which could cause localized flash flooding and debris flows.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Subscribe To This Feed

Kuzma/iStock(ATHENS, Ohio) -- The parents of an Ohio University student who died after pledging the Sigma Pi Fraternity sued the organization on Thursday, accusing the fraternity of "extensive" mental and physical hazing.

The family of Collin Wiant filed a wrongful death suit against the Sigma Pi Fraternity and 10 unnamed individuals in connection with the 18-year-old's November death, according to the lawsuit.

Wiant, an Ohio University freshman, died of asphyxiation from nitrous oxide ingestion on Nov. 12, 2018, less than two months after he was selected as a pledge, according to the suit.

The teen died inside a Sigma Pi Epsilon annex house in Athens, Ohio, where he was allegedly beaten with a belt, pelted with eggs, deprived of sleep and forced to take drugs and drink a gallon of alcohol in an hour, the lawsuit alleged.

The suit, which names the local Epsilon Chapter of Sigma Pi Fraternity and the fraternity’s Tennessee-based national office, is seeking at least $25,000 in damages in connection to the teen's death.

"During the pledging process, Collin Wiant was subjected to physical abuse, verbal abuse, mental abuse, sleep deprivation, forced drug and alcohol use, and other forms of hazing intended to humiliate and demean him," the suit stated. "Some of the tasks required of Collin included doing laundry for fraternity members, cleaning the J Bar after hours, and being forced to be available at all hours of the day on-demand regardless of academic obligations."

The suit also accused the fraternity of providing and/or forcing pledges, including Wiant, to take cocaine, marijuana, Adderall and Xanax, along with moonshine and other types of alcohol.

"The combination of drugs and alcohol caused Collin to black out numerous times," the suit said.

The Sigma Pi Fraternity's national office said they had not been served with any lawsuit and if they are, they will "review and determine the appropriate response."

"We are aware of the tragic passing of Collin Wiant this past November and we continue to extend our deepest condolences to his family and friends," the statement read. "To my knowledge, Sigma Pi International has not been served with a lawsuit involving Mr. Wiant, so we are not able to comment. If we are served with a lawsuit, our attorneys will review and determine the appropriate response."

The lawsuit alleges that within hours of Collin Wiant’s death, the Epsilon Chapter of the Sigma Pi Fraternity called an emergency meeting of its members to initiate the current pledge class as full members of the fraternity rather than being concerned for Collin and his family.

"The action was designed to close ranks within all fraternity members to make sure they all told the same story concerning the events of earlier that morning," the lawsuit alleged.

Ohio University issued a cease and desist letter to the Epsilon Chapter of Sigma Pi in the wake of the teen's death. The university is not a defendant in the lawsuit

"This is a very sad situation, and our hearts go out to Collin’s family and friends who have been impacted by this tragic loss," according to a statement from Ohio University. "The Epsilon chapter of the Sigma Pi fraternity remains on a cease and desist order from the University, pending investigation."

Sigma Pi Fraternity's national office said it was "in full support of the cease-and-desist order" at the time.

"Sigma Pi will work closely with the OU administration and local authorities during their review of this matter, and the Fraternity has advised all members to cooperate fully," the organization said in a statement.

Copyright © 2019, ABC Radio. All rights reserved.


Advertising Specials

Local News

WJTN News for Feb. 15, 2019

Two Jamestown men have been arrested for allegedly trafficking crack-cocaine in the city that has also been found to contain Fentanyl in it....   That from Jamestown Police Captain Bob Samuels...

Read More

Join Us Online